About the Society
The Society was instituted on 2 October 1950 at Theobald's Cafe Bath with the name of Bath and Bristol Coin Club. The present name was
adopted for the 1953 season by which time the membership had increased to 22. The Society has hosted the annual
National Numismatic Congress in Bath or Bristol on five occasions: 1958, 1964, 1983, 1988 and 1998.
Our programme of events ranges from academic speakers on specialist subjects to our own membership with lectures on their own interests. We also may hold a members' coin sale and occasionally organise visits to places of interest.
DIARY OF MEETINGS 2019-2020
The society meets at The Globe Inn, Newton St Loe, Bath; on the second Thursday in each month, at 7.30pm. There is a large car park and our meeting-room is at the rear of the Inn.
- August 8th 2019: "Brunel's Ships" by David Young
- September 12th 2019: Members' five-minute talks
- October 10th 2019: "Nelson and the Battle of the Nile: 1st August 1798" by Peter Clayton
- November 14th 2019: Quiz Night
- December 12th 2019: Christmas meeting
- January 9th 2020: "More Somerset Tokens" by Ivor Bridges
- February 13th 2020: "Where's the Fire?" by David Young
- March 12th 2020: "For service in minor naval warlike operations-The Naval General Service Medal 1915-62" by Jim Kemp.
- April 9th 2020: "Scotland's Silver Crowns" by Mike Shaw
- May 14th 2020: “The Shape of Things to Come – the Introduction of the Fifty Pence Piece” by Chris Barker, Royal Mint
- June 11th 2020: tbd
- July 9th 2020: AGM
The society encourages members of the public to get in touch with questions about collecting and also the identification of any coins, tokens or medals that they may have.
- President: Rosie Clarke
- Chairman: Ivor Bridges
- Treasurer: Mike Shaw
- Secretary: John Martin
Rosie Clarke: rosieclarke1 [at] hotmail.com. (Replace the word [at] with @ symbol).